Saturday, June 9, 2007

Thing #3: Kevin Bacon

I don't remember the first time I heard of the movie nerd game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. (If you've never heard of it, check out the above-linked Wikipedia article for a nice overview.) It didn't take long, however, for my sister Lindsey and I to change the game to something simpler and more stream-lined that we simply called Six Degrees.

It works like this:

Two players each silently choose an actor or an actress. Then they say them out loud. The goal is to connect Actor A to Actor B, through their costars, in six degrees or less.
In other words: A was in movie 1 with C, who was in 2 with D, who was in 3 with E, who starred in 4 with F, who was terrible in 5 with G, who made me cry in 6 with B.

Make sense? The rules are very flexible. The point is just to have fun, and if you are a big movie nerd, it's hard to have more fun than this. My wife Petra loves the game, and frequently kicks my ass.

So...

Thing #3: Design a card game based on the Six Degrees concept.

Here are a couple of links you might enjoy if you get a kick out of the whole Six Degrees thing.

The IMDB - The ultimate movie nerd resource.
The Oracle of Bacon - This site is awesome, but kind of ruins Six Degrees

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Yes. Remember the time we connected Tom Hanks with... you?